This Privacy Statement has been adopted by our firm in order to demonstrate our commitment to the protection of individual privacy. The following discloses the personal information collection, use and disclosure practices of our firm. For the purposes of this Statement, “personal information” means information that is personally identifiable to individuals. “Non-identifiable information” means information that cannot be associated with or traced back to specific individuals with any certainty.
HOW AND WHEN WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We collect personal information in the following situations:
- On behalf of our client condominium corporations in order to meet the requirements of the Condominium Act, 1998 and in order to meet its property management obligations. This information is collected from condominium unit owners, tenants, condominium corporations, condominium declarants (or their professional advisors), and from property management companies in situations where management of existing condominium properties are transferred to Muskoka Condo Services. Personal information includes contact information (for example, name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number), demographic information, household information, emergency contact, vehicle information and financial information.
- On behalf of our client landlords in order to meet our property management obligations. This information is collected from tenants and visitors, and from property management companies in situations where management of existing rental properties are transferred to Muskoka Rental Services. Personal information includes contact information (for example, name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number), demographic information, household information, emergency contact, vehicle information and financial information.
- From individuals on a voluntary basis through surveys, contest entry forms, magazine subscription forms and/or questionnaires. Personal information includes contact information (for example, name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number), demographic information, household information, preferences and financial including income information.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Muskoka Condo & Rental Services uses personal information that it collects for the following:
- To manage the common elements and other assets of condominium corporations in accordance with our various property management agreements;
- To collect common expenses and any other assessments or charges levied by condominium corporations, on their behalf;
- To communicate with individuals;
- To understand individual needs and preferences;
The information also enables us to develop and customize promotional products and services to better meet the needs and preferences of condominium owners and tenants. Muskoka Condo & Rental Services may contact individuals by electronic format, regular mail or telephone for any of the purposes set out above.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION BY MCRS
- MCRS does not sell, rent or trade personal information that it collects. MCRS will not knowingly disclose personal information to any third parties except in the following circumstances:
- When MCRS has received written consent to do so or under limited circumstances specifically described at such time as personal information is collected;
- When MCRS, in good faith, believes the law permits or requires such disclosure;
- The completion and delivery of status certificates, as permitted by law;
- To its agents and professional advisors for the purpose of collection of common expenses and any other assessments or charges levied by condominium corporations;
- In the event that management of a particular condominium property is transferred to another management company, MCRS may disclose personal information of owners and tenants of such condominium property to such management company;
- In the event of the sale of MCRS, personal information may be one of the transferred business assets.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION BY MCRS
- At such time as personal information is no longer required for the purposes stated in this Privacy Statement or other statutory requirements, such personal information will be made anonymous or destroyed.
COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF NON-IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION
- MCRS may collect and use Non-Identifiable Information to assess the effectiveness of web site content and traffic. This allows us to improve the quality of visits to web sites managed by our firm by streamlining visitors’ ability to navigate these sites and developing featured programs and content that will be of interest to visitors. Aggregate non-identifiable information is used to perform statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behaviour of individuals, and to measure demographics and interests.
- MCRS may also use aggregate non-identifiable information it collects to inform its current and prospective sponsors and advertisers about the number of visits to its web sites, the demographic characteristics of these visitors and the number of times visitors have viewed and “clicked” on their advertisement(s). MCRS also discloses to advertisers the overall demographics available regarding visitors who “clicked” on their advertisement. Aggregate non-identifiable information may be used to describe Muskoka Condo & Rental Services’ services and products to third parties such as prospective business partners and financial institutions. In any of these circumstances, only non-identifiable information in an aggregate form and not personal information is disclosed.
WEB SITES OPERATED BY THIRD PARTIES
- Web sites operated by MCRS may contain links to other web sites that may collect personal information. This Statement does not extend to the data collection, disclosure, use and retention practices of such third parties and MCRS does not assume any responsibility for the privacy practices, policies or actions of such third parties. Individuals should read the privacy policies of such third parties, and make an informed decision whether or not to visit such web sites and/or provide personal information to such third parties based upon their privacy practices and individual discretion.
SAFEGUARDING PERSONAL INFORMATION
- MCRS has taken measures to protect the security and confidentiality of personal information as are appropriate in the circumstances. Personal information is stored in confidential databases and locations. These sites have appropriate security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information under the care and control of MCRS. Any information transmitted via the Internet, however, may be intercepted by third parties. MCRS does not assume any liability for interception, alteration or misuse of information transmitted over the Internet. MCRS employees are restricted from using and disclosing personal information collected by MCRS other than in accordance with this Statement.
ACCESSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Individuals have the right to access, verify and correct or amend all of their personal information collected by MCRS, on behalf of our clients. MCRS believes that it is imperative that personal information be as accurate, complete and up to date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is collected. Accordingly, to help us keep personal information as current as possible, we encourage individuals to amend inaccuracies and make corrections in their personal information collected by MCRS, on behalf of our clients, as often as necessary.
HOW TO FILE A COMPLAINT
- To file a complaint with MCRS concerning the collection, use and/or disclosure of personal information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-705-788-3393
All complaints will be investigated as soon as is practical in the circumstances. Individuals will be notified of the outcome of the investigation of complaints clearly and promptly and will be notified of any relevant steps taken or to be taken as a result of a complaint.
COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS
- Any comments or questions about this Statement, should be addressed to Muskoka Condo & Rental Services as follows:
Muskoka Condo & Rental Services
5-133 Highway 60, Huntsville, ON P1H 1C2
By email: email@example.com
By phone: 1-705-788-3393
EFFECTIVE DATE OF STATEMENT
This Statement has been adopted by MCRS as of January 1, 2013. Revisions to the Statement will be posted on this web site as soon as practical.